Chocolate Chip Vegan Brownies
Is it possible to not like brownies? I don’t think so. Who doesn’t love decadent, chewy chocolate, especially warm and served with vanilla ice cream or drizzled with hot fudge!? Like I said, I don’t think it’s possible. What’s even better are vegan brownies that meet certain dietary needs without losing their classic taste.
I have been incorporating vegan alternatives in my recipe arsenal, starting with simple recipes like pancakes and donut holes, and being that brownies are one of my favorite desserts, it was only right that I attempt to make them without using dairy products.
And can I let you in on a little secret? It wasn’t difficult at all! I swapped out the butter for vegetable oil and bought dairy-free chocolate chips. It was that simple. Some vegan-alternative recipes, especially those containing meat substitutes, may require ingredients you typically wouldn’t have on hand if you aren’t vegan and some recipes require the willingness to try something that is not your normal.
But with something as simple as brownies? Swapping out one ingredient and being mindful of the type of chocolate you buy hardly requires any thought.
These vegan brownies were so delicious and definitely a household favorite! Serve with ice cream for a satisfying dessert or pack a couple for a midday snack.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup hot water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line pan or baking dish with foil or non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine and mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add in hot water, vegetable oil and vanilla extract and mix until all ingredients are well combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour brownie batter into baking dish or muffin pan and bake for 28-30 minutes. Use a toothpick to make sure brownies are cooked on the inside.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes and serve!
Check out the recipe below!